The term printed circuit board assembly refers to the process of attaching various electronic components to a printed circuit board to develop and complete a fully functional printed circuit assembly. Basically, there are two types of construction utilized in this process, one is the surface-mount construction, and the other is the through-hole construction. Both these methods have individual benefits when put to use. The surface mount technique takes up less space, while through-hole mounting provides strength for any component that is likely to endure physical stress in the unit. Nonetheless, both these methods have their own advantages and disadvantages in the integral process of assembly.
Assembly: In Brief
PCBs are used to mechanically connect and support various electronic components by using different conductive pathways, methods, tracks and traces. These components are effectively etched from laminated sheets of copper onto a non-conductive substrate. Furthermore, once the overall PCB process is completed then electronic components are attached to produce these assembly. The component leads are carefully inserted through the holes in the PCB and the surface mount construction, and the electronic components are placed on the external pads of the printed circuit board. Lastly, the component leads in both types of this construction are mechanically fixed to the PCB with the help of soft metal molten solder.
The assembly process involves several kinds of techniques for attaching the components to this. If a high volume production is needed, it is mainly produced by bulk wave soldering, machine placement or with the help of reflow ovens. Even a mechanical assembly service expert creates the assembly unit using the above discussed methods and materials.
In this modern electronic and technological world, printed circuit board assembly services are the most important part of the electronics sector because of the utility and efficiency they offer. A printed circuit board is an electronic unit that is used to connect electrical elements into various appliances and machinery. These devices are generally found in most of the electrical devices like games, computers, i-Pods, consoles, televisions and so on. However, for the production of large scale electronic devices, electronic manufacturers often hire professional assemblers from authorized PCB assembly services to do the job.
Printed Circuit Board (PCB) Assembly is one of the required manufacturing processes for the production of consumer electronics products. In the past, consumer electronics original equipment manufacturers (OEM) assembled PCBs in house. But due to the rapid development of surface mount technology and innovative manufacturing processes and equipment, PCB assembly is now often outsourced to contract electronics manufacturers who specialize in PCB Assembly.
There are decided advantages for utilizing a PCB Assembly Service. They include:
1. Less Capital Investment. To assemble PCBs in-house requires a large capital investment in manufacturing facilities, lines and machinery as well as the hiring and training of qualified personnel. As a result, it can be a long return-on-investment (ROI). Using an outsourced service just makes financial and economic sense.
2. Cost Per Unit Benefits. A consumer electronics OEM can benefit from “economies of scale” by leveraging the capital investments made by a PCB Service in facilities, equipment and personnel to generate reductions in cost per unit, which can make them more competitive in the marketplace.
3. Product Design Improvements. PCB Services sometimes include electronic design services as part of their assembly costs. These design services can verify electronic designs and make suggestions on PCB improvements, which translates into superior products with higher quality at a lower cost to you.
4. The Value of Extensive Experience. Outsourced PCB services possess extensive experience in mass-producing PCBs at the lowest possible price even for tight deadlines. This value cannot be underestimated.
5. Quality Assurance. In today’s competitive marketplace, quality assurance is critical in order to reign in unexpected costs and maintain customer satisfaction. Not all consumer electronics manufacturers have the quality systems and resources as well as the test equipment to guarantee the quality of its PCBs. Conversely, PCB manufacturers utilize a variety of quality systems and procedures to ensure quality assurance. In addition, they have the business relationships to procure top quality electronic components. This is critical because to trust the final product, one must trust the components that are used to produce it.
Customers today use the Internet to research not only the products and services of a consumer electronics company, but also its business reputation. If a consumer electronics company becomes known for producing less than high quality products, this could result in irreversible damage to its business reputation.
This is central to what a PCB Service can do for you: lower your costs and guarantee your product quality to enhance your business reputation. It only makes sense to partner with a contract electronics manufacturer to produce your PCBs.